Saturday, January 7, 2012

My only child, Clifford, was born on February 12, 1989.  As a social worker, I had read many books and articles on pregnancy and childbirth.  I had regular prenatal care and worked up until my due date. However, as a first time mother the birthing experience was very different from my inexperienced expectations..  It was when I was being prepared in the labor room that I actually understood I was giving birth to another human being.  It was no longer an abstract concept!

In 1989 there were prenatal tests such as sonograms and amniocentesis.  Unlike the precision of today's diagnostic tools, my sonogram was not quite as sophisticated.  I developed some prenatal issues and required several sonograms throughout the pregnancy.  My last one was completed at seven months gestation.  The results of the test indicated I was delivering a baby girl.  I had always felt I was going to have a boy so I was a bit disappointed.

Fast forward two months to my delivery.  You can imagine my surprise when the OB/GYN gave me my child and stated, "Congratulations, you have a beautiful baby boy".  It was love at first sight when I looked into those gorgeous brown eyes.  He was a healthy and happy infant.  People don't believe me but my son laughed out loud at two weeks old!!  All my friends, family and physicians told me I was sleep deprived and it wasn't possible.  New mother nutcase.

This course has opened my eyes to just how much has changed in the past twenty-two years.  Prenatal care, medical practices and infant aftercare have improved dramatically.  There is so much more research on the role of prenatal and neonatal development.  I hope to find research that substantiates my son's laughter at such an early age was not the figment of my imagination but rather early social expression.

No comments:

Post a Comment