Saturday, January 7, 2012

My Friend Edna

is from the west African country of Ghana.  Edna and I discussed our children, and how the birthing process in her homeland compares and contrasts to my son's birth in the United States.  Edna advised that women in urban areas generally give birth in a hospital very much like we would find in the United States.  However, pregnant women in isolated, rural areas tend to have their babies at home attended by a mid-wife rather than a physician.  I was amazed by the Ghanaian custom of placing a gold or beaded waist chain around the upper hips or waist of newborn baby girls.  The band is adjustable and is worn by the baby into adulthood.  Depending upon the prerogative of the owner, the waist chain can be worn strictly under clothing or visible to others.  It is a sign of femininity.  Pretty cool.

2 comments:

  1. That is very cool! I guess the closest thing I have seen here is piercing a baby girl's ears.
    Sylvia also wrote about women in Ghana, but her research showed a poor outcome for many home births. What is Edna's perspective on this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful children in the pic. I like the chain around the baby girl waist. very interesting.

    ReplyDelete